Pumpkin roll challenge

So this week at work has been busy, with all of us really hustling to meet the last deadline of the year. To take my mind off that, I made a pumpkin roll from this boxed mix I picked up at Big Lots the other day (one of my "secret" places to find quality food items). I was looking forward to making one because I have not done so before, and all the times I've tried them at parties, I've really liked them. This was actually easy to do, so long as you have all the right things: ridged bake pan, parchment paper, towel, mixer, spatula.

Initially, baking a cake roll intimidated me. I worried that the cake would break apart in the middle of rolling, or that it would stick to the towel. However, the heat from being in the oven and subsequent steam work to retain that roll shape. To do this, I laid out a clean towel flat against the table, transferred the cake onto the towel, peeled the parchment paper off slowly from the cake, and proceeded to roll the towel with the cake in it. It sounds so odd, but it works! Once it reaches room temperature, the cake is pliable, soft, and ready for frosting and more rolling. 

After prepping the roll, I refrigerated it for nearly an hour. I then took it back out to slice it and try. It's so good. I wrapped the rest of the slices and stored them in the freezer, so I can thaw a slice to have for next time. 

Note: I added cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves into both the frosting and batter to make it spicier. Also, dusting with confectioner's sugar is suggested for garnish, but I passed on that because the frosting-based filling is already sweet.

Comments

Popular Posts