SEF's KFC Cheetos fried chicken sandwich review




Hauling butt on the elliptical with my eyes on the clock, I logged my miles in time to go run errands.

I have been craving some fried chicken since last week! So as a treat, I drove north in search of some. First stop was Ezell's, where I got a two-piece meal of spicy and original. It was about 10 to 9, and I was amused by the last-minute rush of customers also stopping in to get their fix. 

I got in the car and was about to go home when I remembered seeing an ad for KFC's Cheetos fried chicken sandwich. Desire and curiosity ("I like all these things! Will it taste good?") defeated reason ("I read mixed reviews. I might get heartburn. Someone said the Cheetos were soggy.") as I drove across two lanes to get to the other side to KFC. 

KFC wasn't as busy as Ezell's, so I knew it'd be quick. I went to the drive-thru, ordered a Cheetos sandwich, and went home. 

I am a sucker for good packaging, and the box the sandwich is in falls well into this category. It's bright, cartoonish, and with Chester the Cheetah's sunglassed face, is familiar. 

I open the box and see a sandwich on the smallish side, but that's fine with me. Portion control is a good thing. The bun is toasted, the breaded chicken meat patty is fried, and there is what looks like melted cheese and Cheetos beneath it.

I eat a stray Cheeto. It was crunchy. That other reviewer must have gotten a crappy sandwich or waited too long to eat hers, because it was not soggy. I bit into the sandwich. Strangely, all components go well together. It's got savory, crispy, and umami in all 5 bites. The bun is a little sweet so it balances out what's inside. And all the Cheetos pieces were crunchy. 

The sandwich costs $5.99. Would I get it again? Sure, but definitely as an occasional indulgence. For a limited-edition unusual item, it was pretty darn good! 

P.S. I saved half of the Ezell's for later. 


Cute box

Steps of unveiling

Comments

Popular Posts