Frugal foodie tip: Freezer bags

It seems like everything we buy is in a package. Meat comes in a wrapped tray, produce has produce bags, cereal is bagged and boxed, and even bulk bin items have plastic bags nearby to use. It makes sense, I'm not complaining. It's convenient and helps with organization. But it doesn't overall help with waste reduction.

So in my own little way to be green, I've started saving packaging ziploc bags to reuse again as freezer bags. They're washable and some are made of mylar or foil, having a bit of an edge over regular plastic freezer bags. They also lay flat and store neatly in a drawer when not in use.


To label them, I use masking tape and a sharpie. The texture of the tape makes it easy to peel off, and it's waterproof.


Also, I just thought of this last week. But they've stored my rum cake slices pretty well! (I wrap those in plastic wrap before placing into one of these bags. And when I feel like having a slice, I'll thaw one to eat.)

Other things that are good to save and reuse:

  • Takeout soup containers
  • Cereal bags: These are great for keeping produce in and as freezer bags
  • Takeout food containers for to-go lunches later
  • Plastic grocery bags for wastebasket liners, paper ones for recycling items and compost 


Comments

Popular Posts