Successful snickerdoodles

I felt like snickerdoodles last night, but I was wary of baking them. Past attempts did not produce the chewy texture that, in addition to their sugar and spice, makes them a standout.

Although I  could have gone to two places nearby that sell decent ones, I often find these renditions overly sweet and can't be sure of when they've last been baked. So it was decided: I'm baking them.

Thinking I had to have shortening which I didn't have and not wanting to get dressed to run to the store to get it, I submitted my query to a great group on social media called Seattle Foodies. "For the cookie bakers: Is it imperative to use shortening for snickerdoodles?"

After receiving several comments assuring me that I did not, indeed, need shortening, I found a highly rated recipe by Jessica from Butter with a side of Bread and proceeded to bake.

This is the recipe I used, with a few alterations:
The Best Snickerdoodle Cookie

Alterations:

  • 1 cup and a sprinkle of sugar, instead of 1.5 cups (that is too much for me)
  • 1 tbsp of corn syrup for chewiness, as suggested by fellow Seattle foodie Margaret D. 
  • 1 more minute with the oven turned off for extra yet diminished-heat baking time
  • Kerrygold is already salted, so no further salt was added
I used a small ice cream scooper to get my dough consistent as possible. I used a lid jar to flatten the scoops. 

I used a metal cookie sheet and a stoneware one. The former baked the snickerdoodles perfectly, whereas the stoneware took longer by 3 minutes.

The end result yielded the best snickerdoodles I've made thus far, with enough leftover cookie dough to make even more tomorrow.

Bonus: My place smells so good now!

Yes, I ate one.

Frozen butter slow melt simmer hack (oven-safe tray)





Comments

Popular Posts