Rainy day konpeito rosketti

I had a stick of goat milk butter and an abundance of cornstarch lying around, just waiting to be used in a recipe. There's been some rainy weather and I have a long weekend, so baking ideas bounced around in my head, waiting to come to light. 

Secret recipe
I found my Auntie Lori's recipe for rosketti after she shared some with me in the mail from Guam one year, and I got to work. 

Rosketti is a small dry cookie from the Chamorros of the Mariana Islands by way of Europe that looks boring at first, but can taste full of flavor when made well, stimulating the salivary glands as your tastebuds are activated. I always have a few with some water nearby. Some people eat them with milk. When I shared some from my mom's care package one year with office colleagues, I was told that they tasted great with some coffee. 

I used my auntie's secret recipe, but here's Chamorro Kitchen Annie's recipe if you want to also make them. Go straight to the pics section to find it:


Annie is the OG when it comes to posting Chamorro recipes. Many homesick or nostalgic fellow islanders look up her site when wanting to make something from home. 

However, here's another blogger's recipe, where they get in-depth on Magellan and the world origins of shortbread, which my love for research can get behind:


I didn't have any regular flour, so I used Ninong's Ube Buttermilk Pancake Mix flour instead, and cut way back on added sugar since the mix already has enough. 

To make these cookies look less basic, I put 3 pieces of Japanese confetti sugar candy, or konpeito, on each cookie after flattening them with the tines of a fork.

The taste? I had several, and I'm confident to consider sharing some with a friend, so for a first attempt with some subs, I will say they're pretty good!

That coffeemaker has nothing to do with the rosketti and just shares countertop space.

Comments

Popular Posts