Food challenge: Chocolate mochi ice cream

A few months ago, I found HoneysuckleCatering's video on how to make mochi ice cream. I saved the link so that I could try it out sometime. Sometime today.



The steps were fun, straightforward, and easy, with everything going smoothly till the last step of wrapping the ice cream balls into the mochi. That part got kind of messy. It didn't form as well as it could have, so my mochi ice cream resembles brown lumps more than the nice smooth balls you buy from the grocery store.

The best-looking piece, with mint leaf garnish
and a side of cellphone shadow

But you know what? My less than perfect mochi ice cream tastes way better, because the soft mochi layer is thicker, and the ice cream I used is one of the best: Alden's Organic Chocolate Chocolate Chip ice cream.

Verdict: This was fun to make, but next time, I will just make the mochi separately to serve with the ice cream instead of doing all that time-consuming prep work of scooping out the ice cream to put into little cup cake wrappers in a cup cake tin, then freezing, then rolling out and cutting the mochi to chill for a while, and then putting them together only to put them back into the freezer to set. I've got no time for that!

A happy discovery is that making the mochi itself is really easy; it is good enough to eat on its own or to customize with flavor: Mix 1/2 cup of Mochiko flour, 3/4 cup of water, and 1/4 cup sugar, stir then nuke in a covered bowl for 2 minutes. For my mochi, I added some cacao powder to taste and for color. Afterward, flatten it out with preferably a silicon roller. (The video explains in more detail.) Now that I know how easy it is, I'll be playing around more with this ingredient in future goodies.



Comments

Popular Posts