Midnight Cookie Co. comes to town!





A few days ago, I was scrolling down my Facebook newsfeed when I saw a post from My Edmonds News about Midnight Cookie Co. opening a new location and extending its delivery service to the Edmonds-Richmond Beach-Shoreline area. Say what?? Cookies late at night? Here? Near my old Jiujitsu school? No driving to Seattle when it's really late and PCC is closed and other grocery stores nearby will have day-old offerings? Hell yeah!! So I did what I do best: I stalked the place. lol.

By stalk, I mean research well on social media to see how this whole cookie delivery thing works. Turns out they deliver via third-party food delivery services such as GrubHub and UberEats. However, Midnight Cookie's article did say that you can just walk up to or drive through the former coffee stand to get your cookie fix. Seeing that I live in a secure-entry building and that I'd still have to get up from off the couch, put on some shoes, and walk down the hall to make sure the delivery person is (1) at the right building and (2) at the right entrance, I figured to forgo the nearly $5 delivery fee and drive the 2 miles to the stand myself.

At 3 p.m., I attempted to do just that. However, it wasn't open yet. So more social media discussion led me to learn that the Firdale Village location opens at 5. OK. That's fine. I go a little after 8 p.m. to be safe. Hooray, my plan worked! The little former coffee stand now cookie stand is open with a lone car in the lot (probably the employee's). I was greeted by a nice smiling young man wearing an apron. He was knowledgeable about all the cookies and for such a small space, I saw trays upon trays of cookies ready to be ordered, dispensed, and ultimately consumed. I ordered the Midnight Express 6-cookie box. My cookie selections were Chocolate Chip, Vegan Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Chip (I love chocolate chip cookies and wanted to try each take on this classic), Birthday Cake, Cookies and Cream, and the chef's special - Ginger Molasses. The tiny blue place was exuding positive energy on a rainy Sunday night—must be those cookie smells—and the employee's helpful advice to heat up each cookie anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds in the microwave left me feeling invigorated and happy. COOKIES. So what that I suspect a wheat intolerance resulting at times in bloating and eventual constipation, or that I've decidedly cut back on sugar to the point where having too much makes me sick? I can have samples!!

So I drive back home in the pouring rain, open the box, and smile at how perfect all 6 baked beauties look. They are perfectly sized and proportioned. The inner frugalist in me was questioning why each cookie is nearly $2 when sold outside of the boxed special, but upon inspection in both taste and visual appeal, I can see why. They're worth it!

I cut a sliver off each cookie's corner to sample and take notes. The original Chocolate Chip cookie is a definite hit with me. It's buttery, has hints of caramel (probably from the sugar in the dough that caramelizes from baking), and has the perfect texture producing a chew to each bite.

The chef's choice of Ginger Molasses was also good, but to be honest, the grocery store further up the road and to the right makes theirs better. And by better, I mean that they have more ginger to each bite. This one definitely has ginger, but it was mild and I suspect that the confectioner's sugar on the surface of each cookie takes away from the spice appeal and texture. It's still good, though. :)

The Vegan Chocolate Chip was also good. The dough shared a similar texture to the original chocolate chip, with a nice chew to each bite.

Next, I tried the Cookies and Cream. At first, I wasn't interested in getting this cookie because I was suspecting a big oreo cookie. However, when the Midnight Cookie Co. guy told me that it was their bestseller, I obliged. It's like a chocolate chip cookie but instead of chocolate chips, oreo cookie pieces are used in the dough. The result is something familiar in something new resulting in something ultimately delicious! After sampling, I went back after dinner and ate the whole cookie for dessert.

Fifth, I tried a sliver of the Oat Chip. It's got craisins... it's good, but it's not my favorite, mainly because I am wary of dried fruits and nuts in my cookies. Blame the raisins I had as a child, although this cookie does not have them. I probably ate this at the wrong time and will save this for breakfast tomorrow with my coffee.

Lastly, the Birthday Cake cookie. It's really just a big sugar cookie with rainbow sprinkles! It's less chewy in texture as the Chocolate Chip but is sweet and delightful in its own right.

After sampling these cookies, I realized that I did not order a Snickerdoodle as I had originally intended. But this neglect just gives me a reason to come back for more. And I'll bring some friends next time, too!













Comments

Popular Posts