Detroit-style pizza

On a grocery store run to get more Halo tangerines and a sumo orange (I must be Vitamin C deficient at the moment), I took a quick peek at Safeway's frozen pizza section and discovered Detroit-style pizza. Resembling initially a tray of lasagna, it's rectangular in shape with an edged crust. Only really knowing about Chicago and NY pizzas, I picked one up to try. It was equal parts curiosity, impulse, and rebellion: I ordered a test covering food allergies and metabolism and figured in case I do have a wheat sensitivity, I'll enjoy the bloat while I can.

After work, I immediately diced some vegetables, doctoring the pizza nutritiously with mushrooms, cilantro, red onions, and bell peppers to offset all the fat and protein. The packaging and subsequent price of nearly $10 place this pizza in a higher category of frozen pizzas, so I was banking that it wouldn't taste subpar.

I was right. This stuff is delicious, and the toppings I added just make it better. The red onions got toasty, and the hot sauce rounds out the flavor. In terms of texture, it's kind of a cross between a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza and a Chicago-style deep dish: not so greasy, and not so cheesy, but definitely tasty. I had two sliced squares before I called it quits. Currently letting things digest before I head to the gym now to work off my food baby belly 🤣 .

Comments

Popular Posts