Chalakiles weather

It's fall here. October is in full swing: It was 30°F/-1.11°C this morning, Halloween is in two days, and things outside are dying and drying. If that sounds morbid, it isn't really. This is just the time when nature rests before its eventual renewal.

A few weeks ago, I made a very big pot of chalakiles, which is Chamorro porridge. It has ground rice, chicken, black pepper, achote seeds for flavor and color, onions, garlic, and coconut milk. Inheriting that don't-waste-a-thing sensibility from my parents who were raised by parents who lived through both World Wars, I used the leftover poultry and bones for stock from my $4.99 Costco chicken (at least I think that's where it came from--the sensibility ;)).

Chalakiles must have some of its roots from Mexican cuisine because there is a chilaquiles that also uses shredded chicken as a main ingredient. (Mexico was one of Spain's stops while conducting trade via galleons with the Philippines, and Guam was a port stopover. It was called the Acapulco-Manila route.) There's some cultural crossover which you can see to this day.

I used the recipe from Annie's Chamorro Kitchen found here:

Chicken Chalakiles

After having a couple bowls of it, I packed the rest into several containers. Even after sharing some with a neighbor, I've still got extra to reheat and eat: Perfect for this fall weather.

**Special thanks to my friend Ais who first showed me how to make chalakiles, set me up with a box of Cream of Rice, and told me which recipe to use. She makes all the delicious things look so easy to make!

Lunch

With seeds and coconut milk

After coconut milk has been stirred in 





Comments

  1. Omgosh, it looks sooo good!! And perfect weather for it. Nice job! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey there, thanks for your comment. I'm checking it out before it goes live!

Popular Posts