Yua: My new local ramen spot




I was out running errands this afternoon, about to go grocery shopping, when I realized I needed to eat. As much as I'm a foodie, I'm also a veteran 16:8 daily intermittent faster from my Brazilian Jiujitsu days who still sometimes forgets to eat, and today was no exception!

So instead of heading straight to Ranch 99, I made an unplanned stop into Yua Ramen, a ramen shop in the same plaza.

This used to be Arashi Ramen, but after maybe a couple years, it closed. I was sad about that but then later learned of this new ramen shop to take its place and was curious about it.

As soon as I walked in, the hostess noticed and seated me right away. At 3:30 in the afternoon, the place was about half full, which is pretty good for a Friday afternoon before rush hour: There was a big family and a fellow solo dinner seated at the back, as well as a table with three diners each seated to both sides of me.

I ordered the honey garlic karaage with the sauce served separately and a bowl of the black garlic miso ramen. The karaage arrived first and comes with a small salad with goma, or roasted sesame, dressing--a nice touch to offset the fried chicken. The karaage pieces have a subtly sweet glaze that I'm guessing comprises soy sauce and honey. It was good to eat while waiting for the ramen.

About 10 minutes or so later, my bowl of ramen arrives. The first thing I notice is the black garlic oil on the surface and how it smells a little like truffle oil. I see some of the garlic in there, too, along with a large slice of delicious pork belly, a few pieces of baby bok choy, a bunch of green onion, and a whole egg halved into two.

The broth itself is hearty and was good to just sip on first while the noodles cooled. Plus, I kind of have to eat it this way because my clumsy self will get drops of broth all over the place, which, upon glancing down at my vest, I noticed was already happening ... the noodles were also good and did not get soggy after sitting in the broth for a while.

Not only was the food delicious, but the service was also attentive and nonintrusive. For example, without my asking, a server placed an extra napkin on the table. And my glass was refilled with water throughout the meal. I also appreciate the relaxing jazz music playing in the background that made me want to take my time to eat. I usually don't dine alone, but I used to go to ramen shops in Japan regardless of any company and felt nostalgic.

I recommend this ramen place if you're in Edmonds or nearby!

Comments

Popular Posts